I think this is my favorite BAKED recipe to date and it is exactly as its name implies. It's a devil of a cake with heavenly frosting. And for someone who has only made buttercream frosting I can tell you that I am a convert. Never again will I shy away from making a frosting that has egg whites after making this cake.
But, first, let's talk about the cake itself. What sets this devil's food cake apart from others is the addition of coffee in the batter. The coffee doesn't give it a strong coffee flavor at all. It didn't even hint of coffee, but what the coffee did was enhance the chocolate flavor. I have to say that I think it was one of the best, if not the best, chocolate cake batters I have ever tasted. I couldn't stop licking the bowl after filling the cake pans.
And the frosting - well, the frosting was an experience in and of itself to make. It is thick, yet light and fluffy at the same time - not to mention shiny and marshmallowy. Just the perfect contrast to the deep, dark chocolate cake layers.
When you bite into this cake, you bite into something extraordinary.
Visit BAKED Sunday Mornings for the recipe and while you're there, check out the links to the other BAKED members posts.
Next BAKED Sunday Morning: March 13 - Salt & Pepper Sandwich Cookies




MMMMMMmmmmmm how wonderful!! Devils Food Cake is one of my very favorites.. The Angel frosting makes it look like I big Hostess Susie-Q (but much better!)
ReplyDeleteYour layer cake looks amazing! I love the big, tall layers-it doesn't look like they sank at all. Just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I didn't get a slice, too! I tasted the frosting (okay, more like ate a couple spoonfuls!) and tasted cake crumbs. But it would have been nice to taste the whole thing together. Yours looks luscious!
ReplyDeleteI love making a fluffy white frosting, so I know there is a bit of a trick to it. Yours looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI loved the flavor of this cake too! Yours looks delish!
ReplyDeleteYour frosting looks like a beautiful, fluffy cloud! I also enjoyed the chance of pace from buttercream!
ReplyDeleteSeeing all these yummy cakes again makes me want to start baking again...this cake is a new favorite...already being requested MORE at my house...yours looks so heavenly!
ReplyDeleteyour cake looks lovely. I agree one of the best cakes I've ever had too!! enjoy :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks amazing, and I want some, even though I already had cake for breakfast. I love coffee in chocolate cake batter too.
ReplyDelete:)
THis cake is sooooo good Elaine , i am sorry i missed it now !
ReplyDeleteI think with so wonderful a cake they should change the name of the cake:-)
I totally love coffee in the cake , it does enhance the chocolaty goodness!
And i totally love Marshmallow frostings too , tried it with the whoopie pies and am totally in loveee...
Ok jus checked , its an egg white frosting is it?
ReplyDeleteI am gng back to ur cake pics, so gooodd Elaine!
I tried an egg white frosting once and boy was it good!
Elaine, I have to hide my computer screen from the family or they will be begging me to make this cake. I can see why it was a favorite! I'll file it away to make on a special occasion :)
ReplyDeleteElaine, Gorgeous cake! Great photos! You did a lovely job on this. You also inspired me to order this book!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely drooling over your cake!
ReplyDeleteElaine, your cake is gorgeous! I love how shiny the frosting is...Wow...I am bummed I didn't make this one ... could sure go for a piece now...looks so delicious!
ReplyDeleteElaine- this cake looks so good and the frosting looks so delicious and fluffy! I'm sad that I didn't get a chance to bake this and participate yesterday, but it is similar to the cake I made a few weeks ago on my blog!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love white frosting. Glossy, fluffy, pure white frosting! It's perfect!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful job Elaine, everything looks so light and delicious. This frosting is crazy addictive
ReplyDeleteThat looks wonderful - such a classic look for a cake!
ReplyDelete