I was first introduced to whoopie pies by my friend, Kim, in 6th grade when she invited me over to her house one day after school to bake some chocolate ones. They were not only fun to make, but also great fun to eat.
So when I saw that this week's recipe was whoopie pies, red velvet whoopie pies, I was really excited about making them because when I lived in the south red velvet cake was always the cake made for most celebrations. And since it was so close to Valentine's Day, I used heart-shaped cookie cutters as 'rings' to make the pies heart-shaped, all except for one which I made in the traditional round.
Even though I used a small bottle of natural red food coloring, the red color was subtle which was fine with me because I don't like them to be dark red. The smaller whoopie heart pies I rolled in valentine sprinkles and the larger ones I rolled in toasted walnuts.
These whoopie pies were incredibly moist and delicious and we loved the buttermilk in them. I will be making these again soon.
Visit BAKED Sunday Mornings to see the whoopie pies other members made.





The heart shapes are perfect! I personally am not a fan of red velvet cake.. but these look so delicious!
ReplyDeleteThese look gorgeous Elaine….the charming cake topper says it all!
ReplyDeleteWell these just look like they're at a wonderful Valentine's Tea Party! :) I love the serving plates and the entire presentation! I also admire your patience of using cutters as molds! They worked perfectly Elaine - you should show Kim! :)
ReplyDeleteI loveee heart shapes and i shaped them too:-))
ReplyDeletei did think walnut but didn finally :-(
Ur look wonderfully delicious and will have to pop one now looking at the pics:-)
Have a wonderfully love filled weekend and Valentines forever sweet pal!
I really love how so many people decided to make theirs heart-shaped for Valentine's Day! I wish I had thought of that! We still loved them though.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! love the ones with sprinkles. Great idea!
ReplyDeleteLooks so perfect and delicious. Love it!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful is this? I'd say pretty darned :-). These look delicious and I find the idea enchanting. I hope you had a great Valentine's Day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteI *love* the heart shapes with the Valentine's day sprinkles! How cute!!
ReplyDeleteI like that your pies are brown in color. The ones with nuts look delicious! Everyone's posts are just torturing me with all the heart shapes, as I couldn't find a heart-shaped cookie cutter to save my life today! Ha!
ReplyDeleteI love the color of your pies and that they are heart shaped- great idea!
ReplyDeleteI need to find some of that natural red food coloring, and great idea to use cookie cutters as rings. One of my kids suggested beet juice, but that did not sound yummy at all! Nice post.
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful, Elaine! I really wanted to make them (and planned on hearts, as well), but I just didn't have the time. I love yours, though! Happy Valentine's Day! :)
ReplyDeleteElaine, these look great great!! I love that you made them heart shaped and love the colored sprinkles. We loved these too.. so delicious! Happy Valentine's Day to you on the left coast!! xo
ReplyDeleteThese are just adorable!!! Hope you had a lovely Valentines Day.
ReplyDeleteCan I have one of your whoopie pies? These look so yummy and festive. LOVE.
ReplyDelete