Tuesday, April 2

Rustic Potato Loaf


Tuesday with Dorie

Contributing Baker: Leslie Mackie

It's already April - can you believe it?! I was happy to see that we had another bread recipe to start the month off and even happier when I saw it was potato bread. I happen to really like potato bread, but when I buy it at the store I am the only one in the family who will eat it, so I decided to cut the recipe in half and only make one loaf.  What is interesting about this recipe is that you leave the potato skins on which I think is really great because that is where all the nutrients are anyway and it turned out that the flecks of potato skin also give the bread a little bit of color.


Another thing I think is interesting is that there are only two short rise times for the dough which makes it super easy to whip up a loaf or two even during the week. I stuck to the recipe as written except when I put it in the oven I didn't mist before or during - I just threw some ice cubes on the bottom of the oven before closing the door and hoped for the best. I checked my loaf at 35 minutes and its internal temperature was over 200 degrees.


My loaf unfurled a little during baking, but I think it just added to its rustic look. I do have to say that when I ate that slice you see in the photo above with the melting butter I was a little disappointed because even though it had a nice crisp crust and a soft center, it didn't have the potato flavor that I expected. Surprisingly my husband asked for a piece and really liked it, so after it cooled completely I ate another slice and I was really happy that the flavors had developed more and it had a nice subtle potato flavor with just a hint of a baked potato taste which I am guessing came from the potato skins. John said it was delicious bread and nothing at all like the potato bread I have bought at the store. Yay!


This bread is great just slathered with some butter, but it is also a wonderful sandwich bread. Dawn at Simply Sweet is hosting this week, so you can find the recipe over on her blog. See what the other bakers thought about their rustic potato loaves over at Tuesdays with Dorie.

20 comments:

  1. Glad to see you were brave enough to leave the peels in. I bet it really heightened the flavor. I was too dirt-averse to risk it! Tasted like a good white bread though, and that was fine for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful! It reminds me of a bread that Great Harvest used to (still?) makes. It had pieces of potato with skin in it too. Gosh, I bet it was great with butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the touch of leaving the peels on - will probably do that with other breads in the future. I do think the bread needed a little more salt to bring out the flavor of the potato.

    Spring? You need to let Mother Nature know that. It's been snowing here all day. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed it's April! March seemed to drag on because of the cleanse I was doing. Great looking loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bread look lovely!!!!
    I have not left the skin of potatoes but I would next time to give a stronger taste to the bread!
    In all cases this recipe is wonderful! Definitely a keeper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone that tasted our loaves loved this recipe, too. The skins were a must - fibre and a nice speckled effect. Glad it went over so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elaine, what a fantastic looking loaf of bread you backed - it looks picture perfect, better than from a bakery and it is nice that you and your husband really enjoyed this - bread baking is just the best!
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your loaf looks wonderful. I'm glad you and John liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll definitely have to try this, Elaine! Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A loaf unfurling. I like that expression! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking bread. I left the skin on the potatoes as well...looks lovely in the bread. And I love the rustic look. Really enjoyed this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you now have a potato bread convert! Next time, I'll keep my peels on :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire your patience to wait for this stunning looking loaf to cool down and enjoy a slice :) The moment ours came from the oven, I broke a piece...I also liked the bread toasted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was good bread, wasn't it. I like the shape of the unfurled loaves - more individualistic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unfurled = extra rustic. I love how chewy this bread is the next day. And the little pieces of skin in the bread. Definitely a repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful rustic loaf...love how it looks.
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bread looks delicious slathered with butter. I'm looking forward to bringing my loaf out of the freezer to do the same. I had made one loaf and rolls with the other half. The rolls were quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous looking bread, Elaine!! I never got this one done. I had my grandchildren for the week before Easter and things were kind of hectic!! But now I’m back on track.
    I am looking forward to baking this one…nothing like a good bread.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, that looks delicious, Elaine! I really need to do some bread baking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.