Friday, April 12

Chocolate Financiers


French Friday with Dorie

This week's recipe is for a little french cake which derives it's name from French gold ingots. Traditionally these cakes are baked in a financier pan which consists of little rectangles, but since I don't have one of those pans (haven't been lucky enough to score one at a thrift store yet) I used a mini-muffin tin instead. Dorie suggests making berry financiers which sound delicious, but since I have made a few berry cakes recently and since I was craving chocolate, I opted to make chocolate financiers instead.


Dorie tells us that the recipe comes from Jean-Paul Hévin, a most admired Paris chocolatier. It is a simple enough recipe to make. You bring heavy cream to a boil and pour over bittersweet chocolate to make a smooth ganache. Add some whipped egg whites and some brown butter to sifted confectioner's sugar, almond flour, a little bit of all-purpose flour, some baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add the egg white mixture to the ganache and gently mix together and pour into the mini-muffin tin. My little financiers were done at 11 minutes in a 350 degree oven.



These are very moist and rich chocolaty cakes - kind of like decadent brownie bites. Check out French Fridays with Dorie to see the different kinds of financiers that were made this week.

25 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh those little chocolate gems could fly right off that page into my mouth. All of you who went the chocolate route this week are way ahead of the curve, I think. The plain ones were rich and delicious. I can only imagine how yummy the chocolate financiers will be. I actually made a few plain financiers (with leftover batter from the mini-muffin mold) in a madeleine tin that I had found in our local thrift shop. They were good but lacked something - the chocolate version would be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the chocolate ones first and fell in love with them! And the pans aren´t that important really. Any little pan will do. Great job Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chocolates look delicious, will have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful I can see that the outer layer has a nice crispness to it and I know the inside is moist... must try the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look gorgeous, Elaine! I can’t wait to try the chocolate version! They look heavenly…we loved the plain version, so very yummy! But then, I love anything with almonds in it!
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very intrigued by the chocolate versions that I am seeing. They look like a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Elaine-I have to try this chocolate version soon ;-)
    Have a wonderful weekend too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many chocolate versions this week. I'm starting to get jealous, they look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would do the chocolate version the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all a twitter to make the chocolate ones now! I really loved these...some things are classics for a very good reason! I had to draw the line at rushing out and getting a special pan though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the basic kinds, but the chocolate ones look wonderful. I'll try them soon. I would love to find one of the "proper" pans, but the mini-muffin tins worked out fine. So delicious, regardless of the shape. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Elaine, the chocolate financiers look awesome...I yet have to try to bake financiers...
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Financiers have been on my to-make list for far too long. I keep hoping ill find a pan, but no luck so far. I think I'm going to have to just use my mini muffin pan, too. =) and chocolate ones sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are the first chocolate financiers I've seen - the rest have been berry. These look great, and the muffin tins worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We loved the chocolate ones at our house as well, nice job working the history into your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elaine, you actually made the chocolate version - your dark, chocolaty financiers look marvelous. They must have been so delicious! These were indeed nice, elegant and scrumptious little French tea cakes - we all semm to have enjoyed them thoroughly!
    Have a nice weekend, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I'm going to have to try the chocolate version! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummo - I have financier envy over these delicious looking chocolate ones. I did like the plain ones, but as a chocolate girl, I am coveting these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with Gaye, next time it's chocolate! Your little bites look perfect! Hope you've had an excellent weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those look so good! I will have to give the chocolate ones I try next time I get a chocolate craving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful little chocolate bites - they look adorable! We'll have to be on the lookout for yet 'another' pan, huh? Sounds good to me! They look like just the perfect little treat!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your chocolate financiers look delicious. I've finally gotten 'round to making the almond ones and they're delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.