Monday, April 8

Pierre Hermé’s Olive Sablés


French Friday Monday with Dorie

I had a jar of olives languishing in the fridge that I had bought for Dorie's olive tapenade recipe that are packed in not only oil, but also thyme and I wasn't sure how the thyme would taste in a cookie whether it be sweet or savory or a little bit of both - like these cookies. I needn't have worried; however, because the thyme not only makes these cookies smell so fragrant, but also gives them quite a punch of flavor.


You would think the surprising ingredient in this recipe would be the olives, but for me, it was the hard boiled egg yolk. I pretty much followed the recipe as written with only a few slight changes. Since I only made half of the recipe, I only needed half an egg yolk, so instead of grating the hard boiled egg yolk as Dorie directed, I just crumbled it with my fingers. I didn't have potato starch on hand, so I subbed corn starch. I used a hand mixer and after mixing my dough it never came together in the bowl even after adding just a little more of the fruity olive oil, so I dumped the crumbly mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap and kneaded it with the plastic wrap until the dough came together and then I rolled it into a log and let it chill for 2 hours before baking.


When I unwrapped the log the fragrance of the thyme smelled so wonderful. My cookies baked for exactly 18 minutes in a 325 degree oven and were just starting to get a little color along the edges when I took them out.


These cookies are surprisingly delicious and I say surprisingly mostly because of the thyme in them. They gave the cookies an interesting and unexpected flavor. The taste of the olives are hardly detectable (well to me, but John said he could taste them) and you wouldn't even know what the black specks are if you didn't know there are olives in the recipe. The crumb of these cookies is so tender - just what you expect in a sablé. I really like the savory sweet combination as I did with the seaweed sablés we made last year and am sure I will make these again - especially since they are so easy and quick to make. My only regret is that I didn't make the full recipe so I could have a log of dough to freeze so I can slice and bake some more for another day.

Visit French Fridays with Dorie to see what the rest of the group thought about these delightful cookies. You can find the recipe here.

12 comments:

  1. I found these surprisingly delicious, too!! I just couldn’t imagine cookies with olives in them. However, I’ve seen cookies that called for thyme before, and I've always been intrigued…I will have to try adding some next time I make these. I know there will be a next time…we loved them!
    Have a great week, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished the last (baked) sable tonight. I really loved these. Thyme is my favorite herb, so even though my olives were plain, I'm making a note to add some thyme next time, and there will be a next time. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear that thyme worked well in this recipe. I bet they smelled wonderful! Add me to the list of those who will be adding a little thyme when I bake these again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised by how many of us adored these shortbread cookies. Now, including thyme just adds another layer of deliciousness. Of course I will make these again (I DID make an entire batch and froze 2 slice-and-bake rolls so I wouldn't eat them) and will probably sprinkle sea salt on the top (Mardi's idea). I really did not like the seaweed sablés, Elaine, but loved these and will use the basic shortbread recipe for other cookies. A great week of baking, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, what a great idea putting thyme in these sweet & savory cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is an unexpected recipe - I've never seen hard boiled egg in a savory recipe before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were a pleasant surprise, weren't they? Hey - if you already have olives and egg yolk, the thyme really isn't much of a stretch, is it? :-)

    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like a nice cut and bake cookie. It is so handy for when you need a gift or company is coming. These look wonderful. Hard boiled egg is an odd ingredient. How does it work in the cookie?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding thyme was a wonderful idea! I'm giving one of my frozen logs to a friend tomorrow as a birthday present...she loved the samples I shared last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elaine, what a wonderful idea to add thyme to these black olive sablés, they must have smelled wonderful while baking and tasted even better! And your sablés do look very nice with these dark specks of chopped black olives! This was a very nice recipe and it was fun to read that all who baked them really enjoyed them as well.
    Have a nice Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed these. I like the idea of adding thyme a lot. I have a feeling this recipe would take well to variation. Definitely something fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These were a crazy little recipe that tasted so good - glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.