Dorie suggested using cube steak, but I had some beef stew meat in the freezer so I wanted to use that, but I also picked up a pound of lamb neck to give it extra flavor. Lamb neck is a wonderful tender cut and very inexpensive.
The meat was cooked in a dutch oven along with onion, carrot, celery, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, water, salt and pepper. My husband wanted me to just leave it at that and make a stew because the smell made him so hungry!
Once the meat cooked, I let it cool and then chopped it into very small pieces.
Since I used beef and lamb for the filling, I decided not to add the sausage as the recipe called for thinking it would be too much, but in hindsight I think it would have given the hachis parmentier even more flavor. Next time I will be sure to add it. Dorie said that traditionally the hachis parmentier is vegetableless, but I couldn't help myself. I chopped some carrots and celery and added to the meat filling along with some of the reserved broth and a couple of teaspoons of tomato paste, and more salt and pepper to taste.
I topped the meat and vegetable filling with garlic mashed potatoes and put it in the oven until the topping started to get a golden brown crust.
I have always loved the taste of shepherd's pie and even though I deviated somewhat from Dorie's recipe, it still tasted a little different than the shepherd's pie I have made in the past. The mixture of beef, lamb, and vegetables was delicious and the perfect comfort food on a rainy Sunday.
Next French Friday: Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake



Lamb...what an interesting variation! I never thought of using that. I'll have to try that soon!
ReplyDeleteLamb was a great idea. Yours looked so tasty. What cut of lamb did you use? Loved your pics and your post.B
ReplyDeleteI hand not thought about lamb, you are the second person that used it and now that I know it works.. it will be used for the next one - which by the reation to the first one will be soon!
ReplyDeleteThe lamb, I'm sure, gave it an interesting twist! Thanks for sharing, Elaine!
ReplyDeleteI love the lamb in yours! When you think of shepherds, normally you think of sheep- Perfect! I also like all of your veggies.
ReplyDeleteYou are actually a 'purist' to my English heritage by using Lamb! Good show and great pictures!
ReplyDeleteTrevor Sis. Boom.
OH, man, I want some of that NOW.
ReplyDeleteIt looks wonderful - AND it's raining this weekend. I didn't get to making it in time, but will definitely add it to my "comfort" list - AND try the lamb as well. So glad you both enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteYour veggies are so bright. It really adds something to the photos and I'm sure the taste as well.
ReplyDeleteSeasonal food at its best!
ReplyDeleteI love how you customized this recipe to your liking.
ReplyDelete