Friday, October 1

French Friday with Dorie: Gougères

When I heard that Dorie Greenspan had a new book coming out called, Around My French Table, I was really excited to get a copy and take a look at the recipes. It's a warm and inviting book filled with comfort food - French comfort food - made by Dorie and her friends. When I heard that there was going to be a cook-along with the book, French Fridays with Dorie (FFwD), I knew that I wanted to join in on the fun.


Dorie chose the recipes for this first month of Fridays and from the comments I read over at FFwD everyone agreed that this was an easy and delicious first recipe. Since I had never eaten a gougère [goōˈ zh e(ə)r] before I really didn't know what to expect. The dough is unlike any dough I have made before - shiny and smooth.

You can see by the photo that I was all prepared to eat them like a biscuit, with butter and a little jam, but they didn't need anything at all. They are light and airy golden puffs of goodness - cheesy puffs - and are perfect just the way they are.



Next week's French Friday: Gérard's Mustard Tart.

17 comments:

  1. They look so delicious! I guess I'm the only one not doing some sort of cook-a-long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful batch of gougeres! So glad you joined and know you will have a great time cooking-along! These were really wonderful, weren't they - and so easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like yours turned out perfectly - I love how you set the table for your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gougeres have that nice even coloring! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the beautiful table setting. Nice blog layout too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love the brown color on yours.
    Hey we have the same blog background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty setting! And your gougeres look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, have to agree that I really like the brown coloring on yours. I tried some more tonight and varied how I cooked them a bit. They turned out a bit browner this time, but yours still look better to me. :) Do you recall how long you baked yours for?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Frolicking Night Owl (Love the name!) Thanks - I am glad you like the color. I baked them the recommended time - 12 minutes then rotated the pans and baked another 15 minutes. My husband likes a crispy crust on everything I bake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look great. I love gougères, so I was excited to see this was the first recipe. I can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the picture you posted with your finished gougere. Looks like someplace I'd like to sit, relax and sample your beautiful food. I also like the way you tempted the tastebuds with next weeks FFWD recipe title. I think I'm going to have to start doing that now too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful setting for some beautiful gougeres! This is going to be a fun baking and cooking experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by. I also loved the shiny dough and how easy they were to make. I, like you wanted to eat them with all the wonderful accoutrements but found they were better just on their own. Ny husband ate 15!!! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great!! They puffed up very nicely!!

    I am digging your blog by the way! nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look delicious and such a beautiful image Elaine…most decadent!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.