Wednesday, March 20

Mocha Chocolate Chips

Tuesday Wednesday with Dorie

Contributing Baker: Rick Katz


This has been one of those crazy, busy months for me and I just haven't been able to get into my baking and cooking groove, but I didn't want to miss making these cookies. Mocha Chocolate Chips?! Ooohhh, yeah! What's great about these is that they are so easy to make. I used up some of the leftover chocolate I had on hand - Valrhona white chocolate, Ghiradelli semi-sweet and Trader Joe's 72 percent Belgian dark chocolate pounder bar. I skipped the apricots (they were optional anyway). I had some on hand, but discovered that I had some left in a bag that was waaaay past its 'use by' date and instead of being a lovely apricot color they were a deep, dark brown. After mixing the dough in a stand mixer, I stirred in the chunks of chocolate and put the dough in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours.


There was definitely a more chocolate to dough ratio going on with these cookies. The dark brown sugar and the instant espresso powder gives the dough a lovely mocha color and flavor.


Halfway through baking, our cat was sniffing the air. It smelled like coffee was brewing. The cookies baked up nicely and had a great texture - moist on the inside and a little crispy on the outside. I loved the mocha and chocolate combination and they more than satisfied my chocolate craving, but John thought they were just 'okay'.


Peggy of Galettisa is hosting this week, so go check out her lovely cookies and  the recipe on her blog. Please visit Tuesdays with Dorie to see what the rest of the group thought about them.

19 comments:

  1. Elaine, I love the combination of different high quality chocolates that you added to your delicious looking cookies. I agree, they did smell fabulous when baking, or, as you so aptly put it, it smelled like "coffee was brewing" when the cookies were baking in the oven. Your cookies have a warm coffee color and the last picture of the cookies with the "soft chocolate centers" looks wonderful!
    Have a (not too busy) Thursday!
    P.S.: Hope you got my mail, I accidently sent it with my hubby´s mail address, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. look at the selection of chocolate you used.. look at them looking all melty and soft.. we loved these cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with 'it smelled like coffee brewing'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL at your kitty! These grew on me....I have a stash in the freezer and start by eating one, then always go back for seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the addition of coffee to these cookies. (makes me wonder what other favourite cookie recipes would get a boost with it)
    I thought these were great. I used cherries instead of apricots, because that's what I had. (and I love the combo of cherry and chocolate)
    This recipe is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds think alike! I used leftover ghirardelli chips and nixed the apricots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cookies look beautiful!!!! I love the big chocolate chunks in yours!!! so yummy!!!
    I'm agree they have a great texture, and the combination of all these ingredients give a unique flavor to these cookies, I'll probably make it again with different dried fruits and some nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm these cookies look so indulgent :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look great - and I love the idea of adding apricot too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We enjoyed these, so I was surprised at what a mixed reaction they received. Your chocolate choices do sound good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cookies. I'm going to try espresso powder next time. It sounds like you got better color and coffee flavor than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness...those look tasty. Apricots would have been an interesting addition, though they sound so decadently sweet without them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm.... chocolate and espresso powder just go together so well! They look delish! It's always nice to use up leftover chocolate - together with other varieties to add some "kick"! Glad you omitted the apricots :) Lovely cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, these look good! I haven't been baking with TWD for a couple months now, but these are tempting me to get back on the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tuesdays - Wednesdays,... every day is the right day for these wonderful and delicious cookies.
    Question: the dried apricots I buy are always brown, as they are unsulphured (no E220). Could it be that yours were unsulphured and not "gone off"?
    Your cookies looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am definitely trying this recipe-they look and sound just scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look great. My husband said they are just OK too and prefers the Toll House cookie. I really liked these. The apricots were a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.