Tuesday, February 19

Boca Negra


Tuesday with Dorie

Contributing Baker: Lora Brody

Boca Negra means "black mouth" and that's exactly what you are going to have when you eat this cake. It is a wonderfully rich and decadent cake - light and moist when warm from the oven and heavy and dense when chilled and then brought to room temperature. The cake consists of 12 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, five eggs, two sticks of butter, a cup and a third of sugar, a half cup of bourbon (I used Kahlua instead) and only a tablespoon and a half of flour. I used the food processor to mix the cake together. I have used the food processor for cakes before and really like how easy it is just to dump everything in the bowl.


I decided that I wanted to make individual cakes, so instead of putting the batter into a 9-inch round cake pan, I used four 4-1/2 inch ramekins and baked them at exactly 30 minutes per the recipe.


The white chocolate cream that is served along with the cakes I made early in the morning so that it was nice and chilled and I also used Kahlua in it instead of the bourbon. It changed the cream from white to a light coffee color. John and I were going to share one of the cakes for a late afternoon treat, so I served it when it was still warm.


The cream started to melt before I could take the photo and when we sliced into the cake it was so moist and tender and so very delicious. The Kahlua wasn't strong in the cake, but you could taste it in the cream and it gave the cake such a lovely coffee chocolate taste.


We enjoyed the cake so much and John said it was one of my best yet. I wrapped one of the other ones and put it into the refrigerator and we had half of it the next day for lunch. We could only eat a small portion because it was so rich and the texture was more like a fudgy brownie. The Kahlua was also more pronounced in the cold cake, but still tasted good - just totally different than the night before. We both agreed that this was delicious served warm or cold, but  tasted its best when served warm with the white chocolate cream melting over it. This recipe is definitely a keeper.


To see what the other bakers thought, visit Tuesdays with Dorie. You can find the recipe over at our host's blog this week  - Cathy from A Frederick Food Garden.

22 comments:

  1. I love the individual servings. And kahlua, that´s way better than bourbon here, especially the white chocolate cream. It looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely!!!
      I love your "mini" Boca Negra, they look wonderful and very yummy!!!!
      Great job!!!

      Delete
  3. Wasn't this amazing! I love your idea of infividual cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh individual cakes! Glad you enjoyed yours both warm and cold. It was a decadent chocolate dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea to use ramekins! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite a cake, Elaine. Love your idea of making individual servings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought of using Kahlua, too! SO yummy! And the individual ramekins were a great idea...at least yours cooked through...LOL. Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of using Kahlua. And the smaller ramekin cakes. This was one was just too strong for me. Yours looks great - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kahlua- great idea! And I like the idea of individual serving sizes.

    I'm not a huge chocolate person, but The Dude is and he thought this was one of the best desserts I have ever made. He's been eating leftovers all week (a major compliment)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to use small ramekins. The cake looks great with the sauce melting on top! Yum! And kahlua sounds wonderful. I used grand marnier and really like the flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elaine, what a lovely presentation in ramekins and what a great idea to use a coffee-flavored liqueur for the white chocolate cream, it all sounds and looks utterly delicious and decadent, what a treat for you and your husband!
    Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the photos of the melting cream...so good. We also loved this one, the batter looked and smelled great but the finished cake was even better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your mini cakes…they came out absolutely perfect! This one was a winner for me, too!! Decadent and irresistible!! I made mine by hand, I’m in Fl. and don't have the luxury of a food processor. However, I can’t wait to try it using one! Your batter looks so very creamy! A keeper for sure!! Have a great day, Elaine!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh, that looks so good. I love making mini versions of cakes- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your individual little cakes look adorable! I can't imagine a sweet treat I'd more like to share than one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Minis! What a great idea. Kahlua was another suggestion I got to try it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Minis! What a great idea. Kahlua was another suggestion I got to try it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These little chocolate cakes just look amazing- they sound rich and delicious. How fun to serve for a special dessert ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.