Tuesday, January 8

Pizza with Onion Confit

Tuesday with Dorie

Happy New Year! What a great recipe to start the new year off. Contributing baker Steve Sullivan's pizza dough begins with a sponge made with mixing the yeast in warm water until it turns creamy and then adding some olive oil and flour. This is a different technique than the pizza dough recipes I have tried. The crust browns beautifully without getting hard and makes a winning pizza.


As much as I liked the dough, I think I liked the onion confit just as much, if not more. No need for tomato sauce when you have s sauce of caramelized onions flavored with thyme, red wine vinegar and some red wine. I topped the onion confit  with California black olives and Laura Chenel's Chèvre goat cheese and sprinkled some freshly grated parmesan cheese over the top after pulling the pizza from the oven.


We really enjoyed this! It was such a nice change from our usual tomato-based sauce pizza. The onion confit, olives and both cheeses were perfect together. I will make this again and would also like to try using this dough with other sauces and toppings. 


Thank you to Paul from The Boy Can Bake for hosting this week. You can find the recipe on his blog and you can also check out the links to the rest of the bakers over at Tuesdays with Dorie.

22 comments:

  1. Beautifully done. Guess I should have added the cheese...seems to give a great finishing touch. Your middle photo invites me to eat this again. Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pizza looks fantastic. The crust looks perfect. I agree, it is a nice change from a tomato sauce pizza. I especially enjoyed the goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Years Elaine!
    I would love a slice of your pizza-it looks fantastic;-)
    I love Laura Chenel goat cheese-you just can't go wrong with that topping on your pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Elaine! What a lovely-looking pizza! It is nice to have a change from a tomato-based pizza sometimes; I'll have to try something different for my next pizza. It's definitely a nice crust, and yours looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, olives, goat cheese and parmesan sound fantastic as the additional toppings for your delicious looking pizza - so many interesting variations on the theme! And the crust look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pizza looks great...can't wait to make this to taste the onion confit.

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an intriguingly delicious combo for pizza :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sad to have missed this one - it looks wonderful! I hope 2013 is treating you well so far - happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done. Olives seems almost mandatory on a pizza! And goat cheese is never a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the onions were a great tomato alternative as well. It was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Looks and sounds like a great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking pizza! It sounds amazing! I haven’t made this one yet…and when I do it won’t be with onions on top…my husband doesn’t eat onions, but I know I would love the onion confit! Maybe a half and half…hmmm! Happy New Year, Elaine!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pizza crust looks great and we loved all your choices for toppings. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a nice solid good for any pizza crust. The onion confit was definitely different. Looks good with all the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No wonder you enjoyed that pizza! The flavors sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I may have to try this again with goat cheese. Your pizza sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, never thought of making pizza with a caramelized onion base... they ought to taste great, they look great here. Will try them out soon...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not a big fan of pizza - too much pizza sauce! But this is a keeper for sure - loved the onions. Your pizza looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adored the confit too - it was a revelation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.