Tuesday, November 20

Best-Ever Brownies

Tuesday with Dorie

Frankly, I wasn't sure I was going to make these when I saw them on the schedule. I was somewhat skeptical when I saw that Contributing Baker, Rick Katz, had called his recipe "Best-Ever Brownies." I already have a couple of recipes that are vying for this title, but was curious enough to see how his measured up.


Each brownie recipe seems to have their own unique technique and this one was adding half of the whipped sugar and eggs to the batter and then whipping the remainder sugar/egg mixture until it doubled in volume before folding into the chocolate mixture. It took awhile to incorporate the egg mixture into the chocolate and I was afraid of over mixing before I even added the dry ingredients. It seemed like I just kept folding and folding, but finally it all came together. I lined a 9-inch square metal pan with parchment paper. I checked the brownies after 23 minutes and they were pretty gooey, but when I checked again at 28 minutes they were ready.


The verdict? I really like these. At first John didn't think they were sweet enough and weren't as good as the other brownies I make, but then by the second one he decided that he liked them. I loved the crisp top and the fudgy, with just a hint of cake-like, center. I don't know if I would give them the honor of 'best-ever,' but they are right up there with my two favorite brownie recipes: Matt and Renato's The Baked Brownie and Alice Medrich's The New Classic Brownies. But, you be the judge and make them for yourself. You can find the recipe over at Monica's, A Beautiful Mess. And don't forget to check out what the rest of the bakers thought over at Tuesdays with Dorie.


I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

23 comments:

  1. Elaine, Your brownies look absolutely perfect…just the way they were suppose to come out….Fudgy!! I just couldn’t pull mine out of the oven while they were still quite wet in the middle. However, for me they came out just right…I liked them a bit more cakey!
    Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! Love the sea salt on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, what a picture perfect presentation! I love the decadent look of your fudgy, deep, dark, chocolaty brownies! And by now I am intrigued by the Baked Brownie recipe, it was mentioned by so many of the blogging bakers, I should really give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are truly some beautiful brownies! It's been interesting to see how experienced brownie-bakers feel about these. I rarely make brownies, and while these were good, I'd hesitate to call them best-ever. Maybe I should try a few more recipes and see how I feel then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine took an extra 45 minutes, too...and were well received by my chocolate testers :) Hope you have a marvelous, delicious Thanksgiving, my friend!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look absolutely perfect, Elaine. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, sweet friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmmm... I love how these brownies have that fudgy center! They look perfect! Wishing you, John, and your entire family a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These do look like they are highly Fudgy great recipe:)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Elaine, do your brownies ever look fudgy. Yum! I like the sprinkle of confectionery sugar on top. I agree that these were good, but not best ever. Brownies are something I don't usually make from scratch, but I'll check out your go-to recipes for comparison. I hope that you and John and your family enjoy a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly cut brownies. They look fabulous. The Baked Brownies are a favourite of mine too! Those Baked Boys can do no wrong! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those centers look perfectly fudgy.
    To date, my favorite brownie is a King Arthur Flour recipe;but I am always game to try something new.
    Hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I am glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one perfect brownie! I love the baked brownie too, though this one is going to be in the favorite list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy thanksgiving to you, too!

    I'm a fan of Alice Medrich's recipe, but I'd be happy to try these too. "Best ever" is a hard title to live up to, but it sounds like these come close!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think there's a mixed consensus about these brownies, but I enjoyed them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fudgy center of your brownies! I recently became a fan of Matt and Renato; I have baked a handful of their recipes all with fabulous results.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful fudgy looking brownies!!!
    I remember making the brownie recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, lol back in the day;-) It always disappeared quickly, you can't really go wrong with a pan of brownies!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We don't have a particular favorite recipe. Each one somehow stands on its own, but this one is right up there. Fabulous looking brownies. Nice photography.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This one just became my go-to brownie. Soooo good and fudgy. Baked mine a little longer too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm, those look great. I think I need to make some brownies now... =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. y.u.m. thanks for this elaine.. trying it tomorrow : )
    hope your thanksgiving was special xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Elaine, glad you and hubby ended up liking these. I thought they were good, but really don't know why they call them "best ever" - so subjective.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.