Tuesday, October 2

Cranberry-Walnut Pumpkin Loaf

Tuesdays with Dorie 

Hi. Wow, it's been awhile. The last time I posted it was just barely summer and now it is fall. I had to take a break from blogging because I was spending way too much time in front of the computer both at work and at home (laptop, and iPhone AND iPad) which left me with severe eyestrain. Thankfully, the project that I was working on at the office is finished and not being on my other gadgets much has given my eyes a much needed rest. I have missed checking in with my friends and my favorite blogs and I have certainly missed baking and cooking along with my groups. This week's recipe is by contributing baker Steve Sullivan and was the perfect bread recipe to kick the fall season off. 



While I was working on the dough Friday and Saturday I did my best to ignore the 100 degree temperatures outside. The calendar may indicate that fall is here, but where I live it definitely still feels like summer. I hated to even turn the oven on, but the end result was worth it. The dough for this bread came together so easily and I loved the color that the pumpkin gave the loaf. I had Zante currants in the pantry, so I used those instead of the raisins. I don't have mini pans that the recipe called for, so I baked my loaf in a 12 x 3-1/2 inch pan and it was done in 35 minutes.


The texture and taste is reminiscent of raisin bread, but it has its own unique flavor. While the pumpkin flavor isn't pronounced it certainly gives the bread a savory taste and a beautiful autumnal color. The sweetness of the currants combined with the tartness of the cranberries and the crunch of walnuts makes this a very satisfying bite. We enjoyed it fresh out of the oven, but I have to say that I especially enjoyed it toasted the next morning with a little bit of sweet butter.


Thank you to Rebecca of This Bountiful Backyard for hosting this week. Check out her lovely loaves of bread and the recipe on her blog. You can also see more beautiful loaves by following the links over at Tuesdays with Dorie.

19 comments:

  1. Yes, a break is a good thing. Welcome Back! Those loaves look like the prefect thing for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, welcome back! So nice to see that you are posting again! Hope that your eyes have sufficiently recovered and you are feeling much better now!

    Your Pumpkin Loaf looks like pure deliciousness! Beautiful color!

    Greetings from afar and have a wonderful Tuesday - are you going to be posting for the FFwD group this week as well?Hope you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you came back for this one! Your loaf turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that the bread would turn out well in a large loaf pan. And I'm so happy someone else used fresh cranberries! What did you think of them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Elaine! I missed you!
    Your bread looks gorgeous…I loved the color and texture of this bread! I’m not sure I would have turned on the oven with 100 degree temps though. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine - good to see you. Wow, I can't imagine 100F right now - it's in the 30's here at night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used a large pan too. I guess this recipe wasn't so so suited to your weather. Hopefully the toast the next day made it worth your while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, toasted with butter is the best way to eat this bread. French toast might be another great option. I love your bread pan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back my friend :D
    Fantastic recipe, looks too yummy!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    P.S Come enter my giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Elaine. Your bread looks terrific. I enjoyed eating it but not making it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kudos to you for baking in 100° temps! I too preferred this bread toasted with butter. Your loaf looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see a new post (I should do that one of these days - you've inspired me)! Beautiful loaf of bread - and you are so courageous - daring to bake in such heat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to see you back, Elaine! We weren't able to get together in time to bake this for the deadline, so it's going to be our end-of-the month catch up recipe, instead. We're saving one of our mini loaves for Thanksgiving dinner this Monday. It's nice to see this bakes up so well in a larger pan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elaine, I've missed you, and I'm so glad to see you back. I've been worried about you, but couldn't find your email address to check in with you. I'm glad everything is OK.
    This was a great recipe to come back with, even though it didn't match your weather. Your loaf looks just perfect, such a deep pumpkin-y color. Have a a great weekend, and again welcome back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great fall tastes all in one.. cranberry, walnut, and pumpkin! It looks delicious! Love seeing you blog again.. one day, I'll be inspired to do so again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back Elaine, sometimes taking a break is a good thing! Your pumpkin cranberry loaves are just beautiful and I'm impressed that you didn't let that heat stop you from turning on the oven during that heat wave;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back! We had hot weather that weekend too, but I'm not sure it was quite that hot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.