Saturday, October 29

French Saturday with Dorie: Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good

What a crazy, busy week it has been. Even though this post is late, I simply could not miss making the stuffed pumpkin. I was so glad to have some down time today, and I am very, very glad that I made this recipe. 


This is one of the recipes I have been waiting to make ever since I bought Around My French Table. Luckily I had bought the sugar pie pumpkins last Sunday and had all the ingredients, so I didn't have to make a trip to the grocery store this morning. I used Gruyère cheese for the stuffing and added some dino kale that I sautéed in some of the bacon grease before adding to the bread and herb mixture. I baked them for an hour and then removed their tops and let them bake another 20 minutes to brown the stuffing a bit.


The heavy cream makes the stuffing just moist enough without being soggy and the herbs combined with the bacon, bread, and kale is just about the most wonderful flavor when you mix it with the cooked pumpkin. Dorie suggests two different ways to serve this: one is the pull-and-mix where you use a spoon to scoop some of the stuffing and some of the pumpkin out at the same time, and the other is cutting the pumpkin into wedges. I served it the pull-and-mix way and ate that smaller pumpkin all by myself. Yep. All. By. Myself. 


Don't forget to visit French Fridays with Dorie to see what creative ideas the other members came up with for this week's recipe. And if you haven't made this yet, you'll want to try it for yourself. It would be fantastic served along with Thanksgiving dinner. You can find the recipe at Epicurious

22 comments:

  1. You know 3 pds is really not that big of a pumpkin - it definitely could be individual entrees for a dinner party! Love the addition of dino kale, I've been experimenting with it lately since we are finally starting to have our farmers market again in the Palm Springs areas. Hard to believe with temperatures in the 90's today that Thanskgiving and Christmas are around the corner -can't wait to keep trying these great recipes.

    Happy French Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this on Friday night, but I am still have not put it on my blog. Yours looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your more colorful, and more healthy, stuffing. Glad you had a less crazy day when you could make this pumpkin which is better than I imagined and even so good I'm considering small ones, like yours, for individual servings at T-Giving dinner...so pretty and so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM...I love this idea. One of my favorite things to bake in a small pumpkin is a chicken pot pie.. SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, Great idea to add kale to the mix. Your pumpkin looks absolutely delicious! I thought this was relatively easy to put together, that really works when your life is in "crazy mode". So glad you enjoyed it! Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look and sound really appetising and I am most curious to try it. The pumpkin would add nice sweetness to bacon and cheese. Now I need to find a small pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I still have just a little pumpkin left, but I'll have that for lunch today. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kale is a great addition - I know I wanted more "green" in the middle of mine.
    (If I hadn't made mine 3 weeks ahead of time, I think it would have ended up being a French Sunday in our house)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds amazing! What a great combination of flavors. I'd eat one by myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm, I love your addition of greens! Another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I'm so in love with this recipe, it's not even funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pumpkin does look great.and i liveshow the idea to use your bacon leftover flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so delicious Elaine - a tour de force! (or something similar). Perfect for this holiday season! I love the bacon addition and the setting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that the biggest problem with this recipe was deciding what to stuff it with. In the end I went with Dorie's base recipe, but next time i will definitely be branching out. Chard sounds delicious. So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you found time to make this - it was a winner! I like the idea of using kale or another green, and the color really makes it look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you're certaintly not alone in wanting to make this for the holidays! :) glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pumpkin looks great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who posted late :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you liked this - your pumpkin does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. always love reading the recipes you make yum!
    elaine you won the wreath on my blog. send me your address pls.. robynpopegardens@yahoo.com cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The kale laced stuffing looks fantastic. What a treat to enjoy all that pumpkin by yourself. I will definitely try the pull and mix method next time

    ReplyDelete
  21. How pretty and seasonal! I'm loving all the stuffed pumpkin recipes I've run accross. And I always say better late than never! Hope you had a terrific Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so comforting and good!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.