Sunday, March 13

BAKED Sunday Morning: Salt-N-Pepper Sandwich Cookies

This week's BAKED recipe is a tribute to the Oreo cookie. What sets this cookie apart from the Oreo is the white pepper and fleur de sel in the cookie batter and more fleur de sel sprinkled on top.


I halved the recipe and had enough dough to make about 2 dozen sandwich cookies. I have to be honest that the filling gave me pause because the thought of having vegetable shortening in the filling did not sound good to me at all. I had bought a small can of shortening a few months ago because I kept seeing it in some of the vintage baking recipes I was looking at and thought I would try it at some point, but I didn't think I would ever use it for an icing or filling. But, you know what? The filling tastes just like the filling in the Oreo cookie. 


I think I was a little heavy-handed with the fleur de sel for decoration because the taste was a little overwhelming so we had to knock off some of the salt before eating. Other than that, these are really good, crispy cookies with the rich, smooth vanilla filling. So good!


Visit BAKED Sunday Mornings for the recipe and for the links to see how other BAKED members made these cookies.

Next BAKED Sunday: March 27 - Malted Crisp Tart 

20 comments:

  1. These look great! At first I really thought your cookies were salt and pepper, then I continued reading your post. Ha! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies are perfect!! They held their shape so nicely! I agree with you.. the thought of shortening as part of filling is a bit disgusting to think about; but it is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I love the green goblet in your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the shortening is a little gross, but I used some organic shortening from Whole Foods and convinced myself that it was healthier for me! It's totally necessary to get that authentic Oreo filling, though. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Elaine! How funny, I thought the filling was suprisingly good - not sure how all that Crisco was going to make it. And I froze the other half for later - this one half made way too many! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic.
    I loved the salt in them , but did skip the sprinkling atop.
    Loved the filling that contrasted well with the dark crispy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its going to be an embarrassment of riches around here for those of us who love salty cookies! These look great! I would try it if I can get over my criscophobia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies look perfect! I liked how the salt looked on top, but had to brush it off, too. Delicious flavor combination, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny, I thought my cookies needed more salt on top! Regardless, your cookies are so pretty, and they do look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty cookies. Next time I will make mine smaller and keep them colder as mine did not keep their cut-out shape as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elaine, yours look perfect! I loved these cookies so much. Wow. Very surprised by them. I was a bit nervous with all the shortening as well, but think it turned out great--just like the oreo cookie filling! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking cookies ... glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elaine, your cookies turned out beautifully and I'm with you on the salt, I too got a little carried away and did the brush off trick !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elaine, they sound so good! I've been so busy I didn't have a chance to make these, but now that I hear how good they are, they're definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These really sound wonderful. I'd love to have one with my morning coffee. They are rather unique and I imagine delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look beautiful. I'm enjoying seeing some BAKED posts from Doristas. I'm living vicariously through your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look like a wonderful treat Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elaine, Your cookies look beautiful! I'm glad you enjoyed them! I love sweet and salty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty with the scalloped edges! I'm leery of shortening, too, but if it tastes like Oreo filling, my family wouldn't bat an eyelash~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.