Sunday, May 20

Peanut Butter and Banana Cream Pie

BAKED Sunday Morning

After making the double chocolate and banana tart for French Fridays with Dorie, I was a little hesitant about making another banana dessert that uses citrus to keep the bananas from turning black. This recipe uses orange juice instead of lemon juice and the flavor all but disappeared. 

What I had to do for this recipe was find a substitution for my favorite Nabisco Vanilla wafers because after reading the label on the box I saw that they have high fructose corn syrup. Have they always had it and I just didn't pay attention? Somehow I don't think so. Anyway, I have to read labels these days because the instant I eat anything with HFS I break out across the bridge of my nose. It's annoying and not very attractive, plus it makes me wonder that if I have an instant reaction to something that I am eating then it most likely is not good for me. My family now jokes that I am a human barometer for high fructose corn syrup. It took me awhile to find these 'natural' vanilla wafers in the cookie aisle. I was amazed at how many cookies have high fructose corn syrup in them.


These wafers taste really good with the vanilla bean and I thought they would complement the pudding part of this dessert because it also has vanilla bean. When I make this again, however, I will cut down on the amount of sugar for the crust because these cookies are much sweeter than the Nabisco wafers and much crispier. If you break this recipe down into steps and do the crust, it doesn't really take that long to make because you can make the pudding while your crust is cooling and then take off and do errands or clean the house while the pudding and crust are chilling in the fridge. The pudding is so creamy and delicious with the vanilla bean! I also really, really like the peanut butter topping and licked the mixer bowl clean afterwards. So very tasty. The top of the pie needed something and bananas were optional so I decided to skip those and decided to drizzle the top with some chocolate. Thank you for the inspiration, Kris!


What you end up with is a delicious dessert that has a layer of cookie, vanilla bean pudding, bananas, and peanut butter cream with a little bit of chocolate. This is a perfect dessert, especially for the summer because you eat it when the pie is nice and chilled. This photo was taken after 3 hours in the fridge, but I put it back in and we had some more later and it was firmer and just as good. It's like eating a childhood favorite of banana pudding with cookies and peanut butter. Check out the rest of the group's pies over at BAKED Sunday Mornings and get the recipe.

21 comments:

  1. Your pie looks so creamy and delicious! We are making this pie again today and I'll get that banana layer in the middle where it belongs and chill it a little longer for nicer slices. Yours looks perfect. I also want to try the "Baked" crust. And you've reminded me to be a better label reader. I don't mind HFS myself, but I should find better products for all my little kiddies...they get enough goodies around here and I should make them as healthy and natural as possible. This is the kind of pie that begs me to eat a big slice and your write up reminds me of all the reasons why. It's been a fun baking week and I'm always inspired by your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I will use the back to nature wafers the next time I make this pie! Your pie looks so creamilicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... I had no idea! I won't send anything down that contains HFS! :) Honestly - it looks marvelous! I must make this (didn't get a chance to this week) - but looking at it makes a perfect summertime dessert! I will also do you topping too! Looks wonderful Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed this one! I have tried another variety of cookie from Back to Nature and they are delish. Good to know they don't have HFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to be eating a lot of banana pies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you are just about bananaed out! But this looks worth making...so rich and decadent! Beautiful~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no clue HFS had that effect on people! I was just thinking that using peanut butter cookies for the crust might have been another option for real peanut butter lovers! your pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same way about HFCS. Geez, it's in EVERYTHING! I used Trader Joe's vanilla cookies, but I didn't check the label.

    I wanted to eat the pudding by the spoonful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your chocolate swirl! It looks so pretty and I love the chocolate/peanut butter combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! This looks delicious and the vanilla bean pudding sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. after reading everyone's posts, i now believe this pie should be served with hot fudge sauce on the side! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most food in the market has high fructose corn syrup. It is sad to say that we're eating unhealthy foods for a very long time. I'm not aware of it, not just until when I had a chance to go to a grocery store with my friend who is very knowledgeable when it comes to health. She told me how bad it is and the health problem that it can cause like insulin resistance and more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious twist on the banana cream pie my friend - does not get any better for sure :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so interesting about the high fructose corn syrup. The media keeps saying all sugar is the same, but I don't really think so.

    You're a braver soul than me. I originally planned on making both tarts, but the fresh banana on top of the FFWD tart turned me off a bit. Also, ths pie would be a favorite of my brother - who happens to be in Hawaii - so, I think I'll make it for him some time. I think I would have enjoyed this pie more than the tart...but I like to try new things.

    Our FFWD recipe this week looks super-simple! I think I'm going to stuff artichokes with the cheese. Enjoy your week, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elaine, This looks like a delicious recipe…I happen to love bananas in just about anything! So interesting about the high fructose corn syrup…I buy Back to Nature all the time…my daughter doesn’t want her kids having cookies with high fructose corn syrup! They make a good product. Lovely pie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elaine, what a yummy looking desert - I have to say that after the double chocolate banana tart, I had my fill of tarts for the week but this peanut butter and banana cream pie does look worth preparing and from your photos I can see that it was as delicious as you have described it - I keep on loving your "Baked" posts...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Creamy on the inside and crusty on the outside! My type of sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elaine, This does look deliciousl Creammmmmy is the right word. Now I am going to have to check for HFS on product labels when I'm at the store. Do you know how long grocery store shopping takes these days? Have to put on my glasses, read the labels, look for a more natural product, you know the drill. Sounds like a delicious summertime dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the chocolate drizzle on top is a fabulous idea! What a great-looking pie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I can feel my hips grow wider just looking at this, but gee it looks devine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.