I have to confess that I really wasn't sure I was going to make this week's roasted rhubarb recipe, not because I don't like rhubarb, but because...well, it just didn't seem challenging enough, and, well not very French at all.
So I decided to make it more of a challenge by making the Tourteau de Chèvre as well and serving the roasted rhubarb as a topping. I was gone last month when the tourteau came up on the schedule and it was a recipe that I really wanted to try.
First, let's talk about the rhubarb. It couldn't have been simpler to make and it also couldn't have been tastier. I cut my rhubarb a little shorter than the inch and a half that Dorie suggested and since I didn't have oranges on hand and only one lemon I used the zest of the lemon and mixed it with the sugar and rhubarb before roasting. Even though Dorie also suggests using some honey if it isn't sweet enough after roasting, I didn't need the honey at all. The roasted rhubarb tasted delicious just with the sugar and lemon zest. The tang of the lemon mixed with the sweetness of the sugar was perfect.
Now, for the tourteau. I made the sweet tart dough and pressed it into an 8-inch springform pan. Egg whites that have been whipped to stiff peaks are gently folded into the goat cheese mixture to make a super light filling. When I topped my slice of tourteau with the roasted rhubarb, it was a perfect balance because the tourteau is not sweet at all. You get a little sweetness from the crust, but it is a subtle sweet. With the rhubarb it was just a perfect combination. John had his pieces-yes, pieces-plain and thought this was a really good cheesecake.
I am so glad that I made both of these recipes and will be making them again and again because they are both delicious. I can't wait to visit the other members of the group to see what they paired the roasted rhubarb with. I hope you will do the same by clicking on their links over at French Fridays with Dorie.



Amazing! This looks SO good! WOW!
ReplyDeleteThey both look delicious - I could spoon up that juicy ruby rhubarb any time.
ReplyDeleteThe rhuburb is a perfect topping for the tourteau. Great idea, Elaine! I'm glad you finally had a chance to make the tourteau. It was a treat. I loved the rhuburb, though as you said, it wasn't much of a challenge. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteElaine, Your tourteau looks gorgeous and what a great idea to use the rhubarb as a topping. I bet the taste was amazing! Your photos are beautiful! Have a nice week-end!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great 2x1 post! I really need to make that torteau. The goat cheese I bought for it has slowly but steadily disappeared into omelettes and salads.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, that would be an amazing combination and I'm already a huge fan of the torteau.
ReplyDeleteI would never have thought to pair the rhubarb with the goat-cheese cake! Excellent idea.
ReplyDeletewhat a fabulous addition to your cheesecake!
ReplyDeleteOh, Elaine! What a perfect pairing! Your sauce is so bright and gorgeous...excellent job!!!
ReplyDeleteSimply amazing looking. And kudos to you for doing a double recipe post! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI know I would love this combination of goat cheese torteau and the roasted rhubarb, just a fantastic idea;-)
ReplyDeleteStunning combo ! I can believe how badly my rhubarb turned out but I am leaning toward thinking it was way to "green"...which is what Nana had pointed out as well. We are currently on the hunt for more. Can't believe that this ingredient is turning out to be the elusive one ! Great post and glad you made both items.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy I joined this group. I get so many ideas. I think I am expanding my horizons.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea to combine the rhubarb with the tourteau, Elaine! They must have tasted wonderful together!
ReplyDeleteYour tourteau turned out wonderful! What a delicious pairing.
ReplyDeleteYou just inspired me! I missed making the tourteau and it was one recipe I really wanted to try. I forgot all about it until reading your post now. And it sounds like it would definitely be worthwhile!
ReplyDeleteYour photos looks absolutely gorgeous!
I missed the torteau too, but I bet it was fantastic with the rhubarb. Rhubarb makes everything better!
ReplyDeleteI bet those two were amazing together. The torteau really needs something tangy to go with it, the rhubarb would be a perfect match!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, this is brilliant! Awesome awesome pairing. LOVE IT!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great combination, Elaine! A great way to do a French Fridays catch-up, too. Your tourteau looks fantastic. Now I want to make another!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow! What a wonderful idea!!! I missed making the torteau too and I'll bet this was an amazing combination. Wish I would have thought to do this too. Now I think I'll have to revisit both recipes :) Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteFabulous idea to pair it with the torteau de chevre! That was one of my favourites so far, too and I bet the rhubarb complimented it perfectly. Gorgeous photos - your rhubarb looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteWow, Elaine! How beautiful! I missed making the Torteau as well, but everyone loved it so much that I'll have to make it, too.
ReplyDeleteI simply must get back to FFwD - or at least look at the recipes... I have a whole freezer full of rhubarb and this looks AMAZING! Truly delicious - so glad you ventured out and made it - with not liking rhubarb! I'm bookmarking the page now.... :)
ReplyDeleteyour the only one that paired it with roasted rhubarb and how great does it look???! WOW!! Well, I bet you are going to make this again! :)
ReplyDelete